FDA Convenes to Discuss Risks & Benefits of Breast Implants
The FDA convened the General and Plastic Surgery Devices Advisory Panel to discuss the long-term risks and benefits of breast implants for both augmentation and reconstruction purposes. The meeting discussed a number of important health matters including Breast Implant-Associated Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma, Breast Implant Illness, the use of surgical mesh in breast reconstruction and mastopexy, MRI screening in breast implant silent rupture, improving patient education, and informed consent.
What Are the Unknown Risks of Breast Implants?
The benefits of breast implants, either for reconstruction or augmentation, have largely been recognized. However, the lack of knowledge regarding breast implant risk is a major concern.
Patients may not have complete information on the following hazards associated with breast implants, including:
- Breast implants are not lifetime devices. The longer a patient has implants, the more likely they are to suffer complications and difficult consequences requiring implant removal.
- Common complications include capsular contracture, removal, implant rupture reoperation, breast pain, asymmetry, scarring, wrinkling, and infection.
- Breast Implant-Associated Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma is a sometimes-fatal cancer of the immune system which requires implant removal. However, some patients may require radiation or chemotherapy.
- Breast Implant Illness is a term coined by patients, used to describe a collective variety of symptoms which have not yet been determined as a disease.
- Reconstruction requires the implantation of a surgical mesh device, though the benefits have not yet been distinguished.
For Quality Legal Representation & Guidance, Contact Our Personal Injury Lawyers Today
If you or someone you know has suffered as a result of breast implants, you are not alone. Countless women are suffering in silence as a result of the negligence or misconduct of other individuals or entities, and we at Williams DeClark Tuschman Co., L.P.A. are prepared to help you move on from this devastating situation as seamlessly as possible. Our personal injury lawyers have successfully sought compensation on behalf of those in need.
Would you like to schedule a meeting with a representative of our firm? Contact us by calling (419) 318-0772 today.