As a parent, it’s natural to want to protect your child from injuries and illnesses. Knowing the risks is an important part of avoiding them, which is why the National Institutes of Health has compiled a list of the most common causes of childhood injury. See the list below to understand what threats are the most serious risks your child is facing.
- Car accidents: Every hour, approximately 150 children visit emergency rooms across the nation due to serious injuries sustained in auto accidents. These injuries are the leading cause of accidental death in children.
- Suffocation or choking: Infants are the most likely age group to suffocate in their sleep, while toddlers have the highest risk of choking on small objects or food.
- Drowning: This is the most common cause of death from injury in children between 1 and 4 years old. Approximately 3 children are lost every day to a drowning accident.
- Poisoning: Two children die every day form poisoning, and more than 300 children visit the emergency room each day for treatment after a poisoning. The most common sources of poisoning are household cleaners, medications, and other household chemicals.
- Burns: Another two children pass away every day because of burn injuries, while more than 300 others need emergency medical treatment for burn injuries. Contact with hot liquids, steam, or hot surfaces is the biggest threat to young children, while older children are more likely to be burned by direct contact with fire.
- Falls: The most common cause of non-fatal injuries in children, falls can involve tripping and falling, falling from furniture, falling from trees, falling from windows, and other heights. Every day, approximately 8,000 children are seen in emergency departments for fall-related injuries.
Reducing childhood injuries should be a priority for all guardians, parents, and caregivers. To learn more about preventing childhood injuries, visit the National Safety Council’s site and discover their tips to prevent childhood accidents. When an accident occurs, you can count on Williams DeClark Tuschman Co., L.P.A. to be in your corner. Our experienced and compassionate Toledo personal injury lawyers are prepared to protect the rights of your family and help you pursue the compensation you’re entitled to. Schedule a free consultation to learn more.